Thursday, May 22, 2014

Eagle Mountain highpoint and North Shore of Lake Superior

 Flew into Duluth, Minnesota and drove out to the Lutsen Resort. The forecast was for 40s and 100% chance of rain for the next morning. I wasn't going to let the weather(I had come too far for that)so I packed the rain gear and got up early and drove ut to the trail head. There was only one other car in the parking lot. The hike was 7.0 miles round trip and despite the forecast the weather was fabulous. There was still some patches of snow on the trail and lots of standing water on the lower sections of the trail. The round trip took about 5 hours. This was highpoint #42.


                            I wasn't expecting to see ice still on Lake Superior


 On the plane coming into Duluth, a local resident sitting next to me said that I must stop at Betty's Pies in Two Harbor for the best pie on the North Shore


 I asked the first person coming out "Which pie is the best?" and they said Raspberry Rhubarb so that's what I ordered and it was delicious.

Lutsen Resort - I can go on and on about this place. The resort opened in 1893. There were no roads that extended this far along the north shore so for several years it was only accessible by boat. Many famous people have stayed here. It is located where the Poplar river flows into Lake Superior

Whenever the weather permits, it is the custom to have an outdoor fire and sit around and visit. On this night, it was a retired couple from St Paul that relive their honeymoon by returning on their anniversary every year , a couple from South Carolina that were trying to relax before he had to check into Mayo clinic the next day, a couple from Ohio, and a couple from Thunder Bay, Canada. I kept the grandkid stories to a minimum. When it got dark, some smelt fishermen came out with their nets and buckets but didn't seem to be having any luck.
 
 
Eagle Mountain Trail Head
 
Sections of trail still had snow

                                          
Whale Lake
 
View toward south from Eagle Mountain

End of trail

Highpoint of Minnesota
 
Ring-necked Ducks( I had to look that one up) on roadside pond

Cascade Falls

Dockside Market in Grand Marais - they specialize in fresh fish caught daily from Lake Superior...I tried the Herring. Leaving Grand Marais I saw a bald eagle on shoulder of highway that was sitting on roadkill. To see an eagle so close was awesome. It is truly a magnificent creature.
 
I woke up to foggy drizzly day on Tuesday. I left the resort early so as to hike to some of the waterfalls along the North Shore on my way back to Duluth.  
 
Temperance River Gorge

Temperance River Gorge

Temperance River Gorge
 
 
High Falls at Tettegouche State Park

Beaver Falls

 
Gosseberry Falls
 
 
The sun came back out as I had to say "Goodbye" to Lake Superior

Just in case you were wondering how clear is the water.
 

1 comment: