Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Camelback Mountain - Echo Canyon Trail - Phoenix, Arizona

Arrived at Echo Canyon Trailhead at 5:40. Early start necessary in order to complete the hike before the sun got too high in the sky.  I had reached the summit by 7:00. The route is steep as you gain 1300 feet elevation over a 1 mile distance.

There were lots of hikers on the trail this morning. Many of them seemed to be regulars that were out for their morning challenge. Most were strictly business with their earbuds in place and focused on the task. However, I did visit with a few and one in particular... she was 70ish and like me she liked to take time to visit. She had done this hike hundreds of times.  Others zooming by us  acknowledged her and I got the feeling I was talking with the Queen of the Mountain.  When I left her, she said that everybody calls me "Grandma Sandy" so you can too.  On my way back down, I saw her again and got my first chance to call out "Grandma Sandy".   Her reply....  "Texas, Come back sometime."





 
 
Picking your way through the rocks
 
 

                                     Summit - 7:00 and not a cloud in the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment