Saturday, May 16, 2015

Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah

Our one day visit to Bryce Canyon- Weather was perfect, lots of wildlife and hoodoos were spectacular...... Sally and I hiked the rim trail.

I love old stuff that still works(maybe it is because of my age that I connected with this RV).  I'm sure that Guy Clark would understand.
 

Early morning elk on the drive from Cedar City to Bryce Canyon.

If I could buy this cabin and move it to Geronimo, I am sure that Sherman would be able to restore it.
 
 
 
Buzz made it to Bryce Canyon(check out the "O")
 
Hoodoos are rock pinnacles left standing after years of weathering and erosion.

The Grotto

 Some hoodoos have a cap of a hard rock called dolomite which protects the softer red sandstone from erosion

Check out the hiking trail in the maze of hoodoos

Amazing scenes like this around every corner 
 
There we are!
 
When you are staring at the Hoodoos, they kind of hypnotize you

Blue Bird(male)

Some guy I met on trail swore that the first time he saw the hoodoos the hair on his arms stood up.
 
Hoodoos
 

The tree gives some prospective to these hoodoos


I hiked down on Navajo trail to get a picture of Thor's hammer.(When I was a kid, Thor was my favorite comic character)
 
Hoodoos are also called fairy chimneys

Some Bryce Canyon hoodoos are 100 feet tall
 
Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog

Rainbow Bridge - misnamed because this is actually not a natural bridge, it is an "Arch". A natural bridge is carved by rushing water and this structure was formed by subtler forms of weathering.


Pronghorn
 

2 comments:

  1. I am speechless, so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Finding any snakes? Just remembering how scared I was of the one that joined us on the van on the way to the S A Zoo. Gotta love ya. Ioaen

    ReplyDelete